Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bumpy Services

I apologize for the lack of status updates in the past few days. A lot of things have been occurring inside and outside of the OCF, so I haven't been able to dedicate a large quantity of my time towards updating this blog. Here's a quick summary of our disk array migration:

• The downtime was much longer than we had anticipated. An OCF staffer was injured during an OCF outing over the extended weekend that the migration was supposed to occur, so our staff was divided and coordination was difficult.
  • Access control lists have not been migrated. Our new disk array uses NFSv4 ACLs, and our old disk array uses NFSv3 ACLs. We're working on coming up with a way to migrate them over.
  • Mail services a little bumpy. We're getting NFS issues, and we're working on debugging them. Mail spam filtering is still in a state of limbo.
  • There continues to be intermittent issues with our Linux lab machines (ex., random hangs). We presume these issues are due to the same NFS problems we're having on our mail server.

Now that we've transferred our services off of our primary disk array, I'm going to be working on restoring an old image of our disk array so that we can restore files that were overlooked during our disk array failure last month.

Thanks for your patience.